Thursday, January 11, 2018

39 Things I've learned....

Hi Dolls-

Happy Thursday!  Is it just me or has this been a super long week?!?  I'm pretty excited as I'm going to my first Charlotte Blogger Event tonight.  Can't wait to share all the things that I learn tonight with y'all! 

So, when I decided on starting a new blog, I looked back at some of the posts I had drafted on my old blog.  This is one of those posts that I had started but never finished right after I turned 39 last year.  Entering my last year in my 30's last May was a little nuts...and my friends joked about me having an early midlife crisis.  And probably rightfully so...I made lots of personal changes in 2017, maybe not buying a sports car like some men do, but I did upgrade my Jeep, lol

Anywhoodle, I am quickly coming up on the big 4-0!  Oh my!  May will be here before I know it and a new decade will start.  I have lots of fun things I am planning on doing to prepare for said big birthday but I also thought it would be fun to share some of the things that I've learned in the mere 39 years I've been on this Earth. 

So sit back, relax and take a gander at 39 Things I've Learned in my 39 years.
  1. Don't care about what anyone thinks about you.  This was a hard one and still is.  We all struggle with this at some point I imagine (and if you never have BRAVO because you are one tough cookie).  But letting go of what people think about you is absolute freedom and allows you to live your life for you---not based on what you think others wants you to do. 
  2. Love yourself--no matter what.  This one may seem a bit cliché since I made some personal choices to have cosmetic surgery BUT that was because I loved myself enough to do it for myself.  If you don't love you, you won't let anyone else love you either. 
  3. Travel.  2017 was a great travel year but I have so much more that I want to do--especially international travel.  You can't take your money with it and I want to explore the word while I still have spunk to do so. 
  4. Don't take friends and family for granted!  This is a big one.  Losing my parents at such an early age made me value this so much more earlier on but getting older made me realize that friendships and family time are a choice.  Don't blow it!  You don't want to wake up one day with regrets.
  5. Do what makes you happy.  If you want to drink that extra glass of wine (or in my case bottle of champagne), do it!  Take an extra bite of cake.  Swear if that's your thing.  Buy that little black dress that you have nowhere to wear it to---YET!  But if it makes you happy, do it!
  6. Take care of your body.  I didn't realize how important this was UNTIL I got older.  You only get one of these.  Use it wisely.
  7. Take care of your skin.  Ugh, what are those lines across my forehead.  Use sunscreen and lots of it (I remember tanning with baby oil as a teenager).  And moisturize for goodness sake.
  8. Laugh.  A Lot.  Enough said. 
  9. Find yourself a good tribe.  I can't say enough about my friends.  I love them more than I can even say.  They are quintessential for my well being. 
  10. Don't be afraid to make mistakes.  I'm getting better at this but for a long time I wouldn't try things for fear of failure.  Guess what?  You're going to fail at things.  And it's ok.  As long as you get up, dust yourself off and keep going.
  11. Learn how to say no.  I was a yes girl a lot in my younger years--big tie into #1.  But as I've gotten older, I've learned to say no. 
  12. Do something you love.  I've had some rocky work periods in my professional career.  I've worked for some of the most asshole bosses who seriously made my life miserable.  But find something that you love and excel at it.  Am I running my wine/prosecco truck through neighborhoods yet (think ice cream truck for adults)?  No, but I love the company I work for, love my boss and have never been happier.
  13. Find love---or at least be open to it.  This has been a struggle my entire adult life.  I haven't found it yet but I'm closer than I've ever been to being open to it.
  14. Don't let your phone run your life.  I notice this now more than ever and I even do it myself but people don't communicate like they used to.  Put your phone down during dinner (after IG your food pic first of course--I know, doesn't go with what I just wrote down) but you get what I'm saying. 
  15. Be present.  To further elaborate on #14--don't live your life through your phone screen.  Look up every once in a while. 
  16. Listen.  This is probably one of my worst attributes.  And my friends will even tell you that.  I am not a great listener.  But I am getting better at this--or at least I'm trying.  You'll miss something (I know this from experience) if you are always thinking about what the next thing you are going to say is. 
  17. Exercise.  Consistently.  I wish I would have done that more in my younger years but...well, lesson learned.
  18. Live within your means.  This was a hard one for me in my 20's--maybe even in college amongst all the free tshirt with credit card applications they bombard you with.  But being financially savvy is super important.
  19. Learn how to let go of grudges.  I'll be honest, I'm not the best "forgive and forget person".  I don't ever forget.  Sometimes I don't forgive.  So this is something I still work on constantly.  Sometimes people deserve a second chance--sometimes they don't.  It's for your better well being but dang...it's so hard. 
  20. Think before you speak.  Gosh--how many times have I stuck my foot in my mouth because I had no filter?  How many times was I embarrassed because of something I said?  Countless. 
  21. Know your audience.  I use this a lot in sales because it's so important to know who I'm pitching to and what their personality style is and what their needs are.  But this is something to be used in life.  Especially when you are amongst a group of friends where everyone is different.   
  22. Volunteer/Sponsor/Give Back.  Do you realize how fortunate you are?  Do you have a roof over your head?  Did you park your car in a garage last night?  If so, you are in the top 5% of the world's richest population.  Crazy, right? 
  23. Stand up for what you believe in.  I'm not a big politics person.  I don't get involved in heavy conversations because it's not my style but I will stand up for my beliefs if I'm asked.  I won't shy away or back down. 
  24. Learn how to cook.  And do it well.  Not going to dwell on this one but I need some work here (hey, at least I acknowledge it).  I wish I would have paid more attention to my momma. Thank goodness I have Postmates! 
  25. Learn to take constructive criticism well.  This wasn't an easy one.  And sometimes it's still not--especially when it comes from my friends.  But this is so important.  When people care about your well being, they should feel comfortable telling you things that could help you improve yourself and be a better person.  Be open to it.  Sometimes it will sting, but I promise--the sting goes away very quickly.
  26. Always have a first aid kit.  Don't you hate it when you can't find a Band-Aid.  Just so you know, if you have a flex spending account, you can find these online.  I have one for each of my bathrooms, my car and I've even given them as gifts. 
  27. Smile.  A lot.  More.  Just do it.  It will make you feel better. 
  28. Drink Water.  Listen, I hate water.  Like really loathe it.  I'd rather drink champagne all day--and sometimes I do.  But water is so good for you.  Start when you are younger so it becomes part of your routine.
  29. Learn how to parallel park.  This was on my bucket list a few years ago and I can do it now---not super well and only after a few tries.  But this is a good one to know--unless they have valet ;)  Totally a 'Clueless' movie reference.
  30. Be grateful!  Just that.  In itself. 
  31. Always have a lighter, tape, Clorox, pens/pencils, batteries , Ibuprofen and gum stocked in your home.  Why?  No particular reason but aren't you always looking or in need of one or all of these things?
  32. Allow people to love you---faults and all.  I still struggle with this because how can people love me when they know how screwed up I am.  But they do...they still love you.  Let them.  Let them in.
  33. Establish and keep a relationship with God.  I'm just going to leave this here for now as I plan on writing more about this later. 
  34. Don't color within the lines.  It's ok to be different.  It's ok to step outside of your comfort zone.  It's ok to be gray in a world of black and white.  I've got a whole post planned for this that I am super excited to share with y'all!  It's a doozy!
  35. Stop looking back.  What's happened in your past is exactly that...your past.  It's behind you.  Keep looking up and ahead--it's a much better place to be.
  36. Leave a legacy.   Holly Butcher's story is amazing and made me think long and hard about my legacy.  How do you want to be remembered?  Is it your style?  Is it what you did?  Is it how you loved?  Is it how you hated?  Is it how you mothered?  Is it how you volunteered?  Whatever "IT" is...leave it. 
  37. Sing.  Out loud. At the top of your lungs.  In your car.  In your house.  In front of people.  At karaoke.  Wherever.  Why?  Because it makes you feel good.  That is all.
  38. And Dance.  Like non one is watching.  Like you have no cares.  And are completely shameless of the fact that you can't dance.  My girlfriends are going to laugh out loud at this because I always say "I don't dance" but get a little champagne in me and I'm the first one on the dance floor.
  39. Realize there is so much more to learn.  SO MUCH MORE!  I am ONLY going to be 40.  It's a big deal that I said "only".  I am not old (although some days I feel it).  I have so much more ahead of me.  Live your life!  Have fun!  Smile, laugh, turn heads!  Be You!  Love you!
OK Girls, that's all I have!  Hope y'all have a great rest of your day!

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you are back!! :) girl 40 is the new 30, I'm knocking on 40's door so that's my thinking anyway! I love 29, 31 and 38! give me a few drinks and I can dance to anything and everything!! watch-out dancing with the stars!! LOL

    ReplyDelete